Thursday, February 25, 2010

The English language, Women and War, and the recent Huntsville tragedy

I don't mean to draw any connection between the last two items in the title--they just happen to be articles of interest I read yesterday.

A friend drew my attention to this article on The Dictionary of Old English project at Toronto, and another friend posted this link to a Medievalists.net masters thesis from last year. Worth looking at, I think. Personally, I'm a huge fan of Edginton and Lambert's Gendering the Crusades, and Deborah Gerish's article on gender theory and crusades studies, so I'm curious as to how Illston modifies the picture.

And, finally, some comments on the recent tragedy at Huntsville, imported here from the Wormtalk and Slugspeak blog--very trenchant commentary, and right on the button, I think. And a rather depressing article, and reactions, in the Chronicle of Higher Ed, on the same subject...I'll pontificate my own views later, but right now I have to get ready to go to campus and work on student papers all day, and prep for a discussion section on the French Revolution...

No comments:

Post a Comment